Friday, August 27, 2010

Hey 20-something, get some direction. We worry. Regards, The New York Times

You can't make any decisions. You don't know what you want. You don't know who you are, because you can be anyone you want. Oh, emerging adult, please grow up, buy a house, get married and make a baby already.

That is according to a recent article in The New York Times, which you can check out here, granted you don't suffer from ADD (apparently we all do, according to this article), because it's a meaty 18 page report.

In this article, they compare our generation with that of our parents. And then they judge us. Okay, but why? According to the article, "[Today] the 20s are a black box - and there is a lot of churning going on in there". Basically saying that we can't decide on a definite career path, we can't settle down, which results in us not being able to create a stable life for our soon-to-be white picket fence, 2.4 kids, 9-5 day job life. Shame on us.

So, yes. I confess. I am a churner. My friends are all churners. We churn for a living. We love to churn.

Here's what I think: When our parents were 25, they weren't concerned with keeping their options open (like most of us do today). Their generation didn't grow up in a self-indulgent world where you're sold on your uniqueness, your entrepreneurial and self driven spirit, personal branding, social networking, instant gratification, drinking red bull until you actually believe you are a red bull blah, blah, blah, the list goes on. Point is, times have changed, duh.

Off course every 20-something's goal is to get to the right place, but not necessarily at the so-called "right" time. We are fully aware that the decisions we make today will impact us for the rest of our lives. And that's maybe why we choose not to have kids at the same age as our parents did. Just saying.

Why would I choose to become an adult faster? Will I have a more fulfilled life by choosing the first half-decent career option that comes my way, and then become an alcoholic over the weekends, because I hate my job that much? Will I feel happier spending my measly salary buying nappies and baby formula? And what about my dreams of becoming a writer one day? Maybe I should just give it up now and get a real job. Is an adult someone who is grown-up enough to know that they're not grown up enough to deal with adult stuff? Or is an adult someone who dives into things blindly with the hope that stuff will fall into place once he/she is in over his/her head?

So, contrary to popular belief, dear NY Times, we do actually know where we're going, we just don't see why we should rush. Isn't it better to take the steps toward adult life a bit slower and more deliberately, than to rush into things? I wonder. And wander....

3 comments:

  1. Nice dude!! Stem 100% saam jou!

    PS: Love daai laaste line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boom shaka la.
    I personally haven't the faintest idea when i'll grow up. I aslo beleive my add is multiplying at an alarming rate.

    ReplyDelete